Sexual Benefits Of Zinc: Everything You Need To Know
In this article, we’ll discuss the sexual benefits of Zinc along with its side effects, and how to use it for best results.
Zinc is an important mineral for several functions within the human body. It is categorized as an ‘essential element’ which means that the body can neither produce nor store zinc. After iron, zinc is the second most abundant trace mineral in the body, which is enough to show how necessary it is.
Hence, it is crucial to maintain a constant supply of this essential mineral. Normally this supply can be replenished by a diet rich in zinc. The importance of this mineral can also be highlighted by the fact that cereals and other foods are now fortified with synthetic, food-grade versions of zinc.
Sexual Benefits Of Zinc
Zinc is a mineral of vital importance when it comes to health below the belt, for both men and women. A piece of trivia would help you highlight its importance – The prostate gland is the most zinc abundant organ in the male body. And the prostate gland, as we know, produces semen, the nutritive fluid for sperm that also helps transport it. Therefore, zinc deficiency could largely impact your sexual health.
1. Increasing Testosterone
Testosterone is the primary male hormone that has many functions other than reproduction. It is necessary for recovery and muscle growth, hair growth, and is also linked to sexual confidence. Zinc is primal to testosterone levels in the body. Lack of zinc could negatively impact these testosterone levels in the body and hence affect the fertility of an individual. Zinc is hence beneficial to boost levels of testosterone and improve fertility in males.
2. Erectile Dysfunction
Are you facing symptoms of erectile dysfunction? Sure, the most popular solutions for this issue are medicinal. Maybe, you might even consider to buy generic Viagra online. But is that the best answer to your problem?
Dealing with ED is one of the biggest sexual benefits of zinc.
Maybe it’s time for you to consider consuming zinc supplements. Many a time, impotence could be linked to low testosterone levels and zinc is beneficial to males having low testosterone. So if your impotence has been diagnosed due to the lack of such hormones, try including more oysters in your diet.
3. Improve Libido
Sex drive is one of the most critical factors when it comes to pleasurable sexual intercourse and happy sex life. Today’s workaholic lifestyle has significantly impacted the sex drive among individuals. Zinc could resolve this issue. Zinc is proven to improve low libido in both men and women. So ladies, do not be under the impression that zinc is a ‘men-only’ nutrient, and make sure you hit your daily RDA when it comes to zinc.
4. Sperm Motility
Are you considering starting a family? Or are you having trouble getting your partner pregnant? Consider consuming more of zinc. Why? Because zinc improves sperm motility. Before you ask, sperm motility is nothing but the ability of sperm to move efficiently, and efficiently moving sperm increases your chances of conceiving a baby.
Also, a normal ejaculation expends anywhere from 1 mg to 5 mg of zinc, which is nearly half the daily recommended intake for zinc. Hence, taking zinc at this stage would only be beneficial for you.
5. Female Hormones
Women should also consider taking zinc for improving their sexual health. Why so? Because zinc is significant for the production of two important female sex hormones – estrogen and progesterone. What testosterone is to men, these two hormones are to women. Estrogen and progesterone also help in healthy and regular menstruation. Therefore, zinc is beneficial to women for sexual health and menstrual health.
6. Preventing Prostate Cancer
Zinc can be favorable in preventing prostate cancer. The presence of higher amounts of zinc in the prostate gland is conducive to create an environment that is toxic for prostate cancer cells. Zinc also aids in semen production. Above all, it may also be beneficial in preventing and treating Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH) as the condition is generally linked to lower zinc levels in prostate tissues.
Also Read: Importance Of Magnesium For ED
How To Take Zinc For The Best Results?
As is the case with any other nutrient in the body, zinc can also be consumed either by making amends to your diet or by opting for zinc supplements. Let us go over each of these options one by one. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for zinc is 8 mg and 11 mg for women and men respectively. Let us read about the consumption methods of zinc in detail.
- Oysters are by far considered the best source of zinc. A single oyster is enough to fuel around half of your body’s daily zinc requirements. Oysters are also nutrient-dense and low calorie. Shellfish like crabs and lobsters are also a great source of zinc. A 3 ounce serving of the Alaskan king crab could fulfill nearly 59% of your zinc RDA.
- Lean meats like pork, beef, and chicken are some of the most delicious sources of zinc. Although they happen to be calorie-dense, they provide the body with much-needed protein. Along with these, eggs also contain significant amounts of zinc. So, consider having omelets and grilled chicken in your diet.
- Vegetarians and vegans need not worry as there are plenty of other vegan-friendly zinc options. Mushrooms, spinach, onions, garlic, and kale are some of the vegetables with good amounts of zinc. And the best part? They are nutrient-dense but low in calories.
- Legumes are also a great source of zinc. These include edamame, chickpeas, lentils, and beans. For starters, a quarter cup of hummus constitutes as much as 8% of the daily recommended intake of zinc.
- Zinc supplements are a great choice for people with a busy lifestyle who cannot pay much attention to their diet. This helps meet the zinc requirements of the body with ease. There are plenty of zinc supplements available in the market. However, one should consider buying zinc-gluconate and be wary of zinc-cadmium supplements as exposure to cadmium for long periods can cause kidney complications.
Side Effects Of Zinc
Zinc is not known to cause any side effects when taken in limited doses. However, it does have some side effects when taken in large doses. These include nausea, vomiting, headaches, stomach aches, and loss of appetite. Zinc is not recommended for infants. Expecting and nursing mothers should also be cautious of their zinc intake and must consult their gynecologist for the same.
Zinc dosages higher than 40 mg are observed to affect the amount of copper absorbed by the body. Excess amounts of zinc (>100 mg) are known to increase the risk of prostate cancer.
Sexual Benefits Of Zinc: Wrap Up
Zinc is a crucial element required by the body. Zinc is of even more importance when it comes to sexual health concerning not only men but also women. It is also needed for some of the most important functions of the body, ranging from a strong immune system to healthy DNA synthesis.
Its deficiency can have adverse consequences for the above functions. It is therefore important to meet the daily RDA of zinc, but also be careful not to consume more than that, as excess zinc in the body has its share of repercussions.
May 22, 2020 Sam Bell