Best Contraception Options For Both Men And Women
At present, there are several ways to prevent pregnancy. There is increased awareness among people in this respect. There are several contraceptive options for men as well as women. This can make it difficult for one to choose the best alternative. You need to consider different aspects while selecting the right method of contraception. Here we have tried to analyze these different aspects. It will help you identify which method of contraception will best suit you.
Best Contraception For Men
The birth control options available for men are comparatively limited. Here are the known options and how they help.
The most common form of birth control for men is condoms. The condoms are made from polyurethane or latex. They are available in all medical shops. You need to check the expiry date of the condom before using it. The condoms prove effective for birth control 98% of the time. It is also an effective way to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.
Here are some reasons why condoms could be the ideal way for birth control in your case:
- Condoms are a cost-effective way to prevent pregnancy
- It does not sterilize you
- It protects you against sexually transmitted diseases
- It is effective in 98% of cases
2. Male Sterilization/ Vasectomy
If you have had children and do not wish for any more offspring, this is a good option. The method is cheaper than female sterilization. A small surgery helps to seal the tubes that the sperms pass through before they reach the testicles. This is the most efficient birth control method for men. After a vasectomy, it takes 90 days for the semen to be sperm-free.
Here are some reasons why you may consider vasectomy as a birth control option:
- It is the most efficient birth control option for men
- You can go home on the day of the surgery itself
- It does not change how you feel during or after the intercourse
- It does not change the smell, taste, or look of the semen
Best Contraception For Women
Since women are the ones who get pregnant, there are far more birth control methods available for women. These methods differ in efficiency and affordability. You can read along to find out the method that best suits your needs.
The female condoms may also be referred to as caps or diaphragm. These are also effective in preventing pregnancy. These can be used with spermicides or independently. They are effective in 92-96% of the cases in preventing pregnancy when used correctly with spermicides.
Here are some reasons why you may consider the use of female condoms for preventing pregnancy:
- You only have to think about it when you are having intercourse
- It is an efficient way to prevent pregnancy with minimal health risks
2. Intra-Uterine Device (IUDs)
This is another common contraceptive method used by women. In this method, an intrauterine device (IUD) is inserted into the woman’s uterus. This IUD prevents impregnation. It has multiple pros and cons. There are different types of IUDs available.
- Copper IUD: They are flexible plastic T-shaped devices with a copper edge that can be used to prevent pregnancy. The device is inserted into the uterus with a doctor’s help. The copper intrauterine device can protect against pregnancy for up to 12 years. It is an effective way to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
- Hormonal IUD: The hormonal IUDs use hormones to protect the person against pregnancy. These devices emit progestin, a chemical similar to progesterone hormone that is naturally produced in a woman’s body. The device works effectively to prevent pregnancy for up to 7 years. The device must be replaced after its expiry date so that unwanted pregnancies don’t occur.
Also Read: IUD FAQs
3. Contraceptive Pills
There are two types of contraceptive pills available in the market. The first is progestin-only pills and the other is combination pills. These pills need to be consumed regularly at night in order to avoid pregnancy. The progestin-only pills just have artificial chemicals that resemble progesterone that is developed in the body.
The combination pills include both oestrogen and progestin. In the strip of combination pills, 21 pills are active and 7 pills are inactive pills. You get a period when you are consuming the inactive pills. The pills are designed this way so that the woman is comfortable having the regular menstrual routine in spite of the contraceptive pills.
4. Emergency Contraception
The emergency contraceptive pills have a very high dose of hormones; like plan b one-step emergency contraceptive. These are therefore termed as emergency pills. These should not be used on a regular basis. It should only be used when you have had intercourse without using contraception or the condoms burst. Emergency contraceptive pills should only be used in cases of emergency as they can cause hormonal imbalance in the body. It may take a woman’s body up to 2 months to return to the regular menstrual cycle.
When To Change Your Current Contraception?
Some health signs indicate clearly if contraception is not suiting you. Here we have listed these out:
- You must consider changing your birth control option if you are experiencing great mood changes.
- You also must consider changing the birth control method if you often experience breakthrough bleeding.
- A drop in your libido is another sign that you need to change your birth control method.
- You may have to stop using birth control pills like Lo Ovral or Yasmin pill for some time if you wish to get pregnant in the near future.
- Take chest pain and leg swelling seriously while using contraceptive pills. These could be indicators of deep vein thrombosis. You must consider changing the method of contraception in this case.
- If you experience unusual headaches, these could be warning signs that you need to take seriously. Consider altering birth control pills to see a change in health.
- If you experience allergies after starting on a birth control option, consider switching the birth control method.
- Queasiness and bloating are other signs that your hormones are mismanaged. It could be time to switch your birth control method to some better option.
Safety Measures While Purchasing Contraception Online
Here are some things you need to check while you purchase birth control options online:
- Make sure that the online retailer is authorized and licensed to sell birth control pills.
- Compare rates on different sites to be sure you are paying the right amount.
- Check the expiry date of the birth control pills prior to placing the order.
- Check reviews and feedback regarding the retailer before making your purchase.
- Consult your doctor regarding the best birth control option for you and place your order accordingly.
- Buy from reliable online pharmacies to stay on the safer side.
July 31, 2020 Sam Bell