IUD FAQs: Answering The Most Commonly Asked Questions About IUDs
- IUD FAQs
- 1. What Are Intra-Uterine Devices (IUDs)?
- 2. How Do IUDs Work?
- 3. How Much Does An IUD Cost?
- 4. How Long Does One IUD Protect Against Pregnancy?
- 5. Can I Get Pregnant While Using An IUD?
- 6. What Is The Difference Between A Copper IUD And A Hormonal IUD?
- 7. Are There Any Side Effects Of Using IUDs?
- 8. How Does An IUD Affect My Menstrual Cycle?
- 9. Who Should Not Use An IUD?
- 10. What Are The Advantages Of Using IUDs?
- 11. Can I Buy An IUD online?
In this article, we’ll answer a bunch of IUD FAQs that we’ve collected from the internet.
One of the effective means of birth control is the Intra-Uterine device (IUD). Women who find it difficult to regulate their birth control schedules look for a long-lasting solution. If you are one of those women considering the use of IUDs, there are many queries that may arise in your mind. Here we have tried to answer all these questions for you.
Reading this will clear any of your doubts. If you still have some questions left, feel free to ask those questions and we will answer them.
1. What Are Intra-Uterine Devices (IUDs)?
IUD (Intra-Uterine Device) is a device that is inserted into the vagina to prevent pregnancy. There are mainly two types of IUDs available in the market. These are copper IUDs and hormonal IUDs. These devices are effective in preventing pregnancy for long durations.
2. How Do IUDs Work?
The IUDs work by preventing the fertilization of eggs by preventing implantation. Depending on which type of IUD you select, the functioning may vary.
3. How Much Does An IUD Cost?
The cost of the IUD will depend on the type of IUD you purchase. If you purchase a copper IUD, you may have to pay anywhere between Rs.300 to Rs.500. A hormonal IUD may cost you between Rs.1000 to Rs.5000. The price may vary depending on the brand and type you purchase.
Also Read: Pros And Cons Of IUD
4. How Long Does One IUD Protect Against Pregnancy?
A copper IUD is the most commonly used IUD. It protects the user against pregnancy for 3-10 years. It depends on which copper IUD product you purchase.
The hormonal IUD may last anywhere between 3-5 years. These IUDs release hormones that help to prevent pregnancy. The hormones also help to reduce menstrual cramps and bleeding.
5. Can I Get Pregnant While Using An IUD?
A common IUD FAQ.
There are very fewer chances of a woman getting pregnant while using an IUD. This could only happen when the IUD shifts from its position. You won’t have a normal pregnancy while using an IUD. On rare occasions when the IUD shifts from the position, there could be an ectopic pregnancy. It is thus important that the IUD be inserted carefully.
You may seek the assistance of a medical professional for this purpose.
6. What Is The Difference Between A Copper IUD And A Hormonal IUD?
There are different types of IUDs.
In simple terms, copper IUD uses copper to kill the sperms and prevent pregnancy. The hormonal IUD uses hormones to thicken the cervix so that the eggs cannot fertilize or grow. This helps to prevent pregnancy.
A copper IUD is regarded as long-lasting. It may work effectively for up to 12 years. Hormonal IUDs prevent pregnancy for 3-5 years. You may have to visit a doctor’s clinic to get a copper IUD inserted properly. Hormonal IUD can be inserted by the user or by the medical professional. It may take up to 7 days for the hormonal IUDs to get activated.
7. Are There Any Side Effects Of Using IUDs?
One of the major concerns of women considering IUDs is whether these could pose side effects. Here we have shared a few possible risks and side effects of using IUDs:
- Hormonal IUDs may result in benign ovarian cysts.
- Hormonal IUDs may pose side effects similar to hormonal birth control pills.
- Copper IUDs may cause spotting between periods.
- Copper IUDs may also affect menstrual cramps and bleeding.
Perforation is a rare side effect of copper IUDs. These IUDs may puncture or perforate the uterus. This occurs only in 1 in 1000 women. The chances of perforation occurring are highest during insertion.
8. How Does An IUD Affect My Menstrual Cycle?
The choice of IUD will decide how it will affect the menstrual cycle. The copper IUDs tend to cause spotting between periods. It also increases the cramps and menstrual bleeding. On the other hand, hormonal IUDs act differently.
9. Who Should Not Use An IUD?
There are some risk factors to consider while purchasing IUD. These IUDs may not be suitable for all. Here we have listed out who should not use IUDs as a birth control measure:
- Women who have a genital infection should not use IUD. This is because it may result in pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Some women may be allergic to copper. In these cases, it is best to avoid the use of copper IUDs.
10. What Are The Advantages Of Using IUDs?
There are countless advantages of using an IUD for birth control. Here we have listed out some of the important advantages:
- IUDs seem to be a better choice for birth control for women with diabetes.
- It is a long-term birth control method that is effective in most cases.
- Hormonal IUDs help to reduce menstrual bleeding and cramps in women with bleeding problems.
- Women who have a history of endometriosis should consider choosing this method for birth control.
- Women who cannot tolerate oestrogens should also consider this method of birth control.
11. Can I Buy An IUD online?
Yes, it is possible to purchase IUDs online. There are several online pharmacies that sell IUDs online. Here are some things to check while purchasing IUDs from online stores:
- Purchase IUDs only from reliable and trustworthy online stores. Look for the license and authorization of the store.
- You need to check the expiry date and other details about the IUD before making the purchase.
- Check reviews and ratings of the online pharmacy before you place your order for IUDs.
- Compare rates of IUDs before making the purchase.
- Look for stores that offer free shipping facilities to your locality.
- You need to read the terms and conditions of the store before placing the order.
- Read the refund and return policy as well before you place your order. This policy covers what happens if you are not satisfied with the delivered product.
Choose this effective birth control method. Stay free from tension regarding an unwanted pregnancy. Planning pregnancy has become very simple, thanks to the advances in science and technology.
July 22, 2020 Sam Bell