Best Birth Control Options for Women Over 30
If you’re wondering what’s the best birth control option for women over 30, then this article will clear all your doubts.
At present, there are many different birth control options readily available for women to choose from. The choice needs to be made based on the woman’s age and stage of life. Health and lifestyle are other factors that one needs to consider.
Some birth control options are best suited for women who are young and, in their teens, or twenties. Older women may have health and lifestyle concerns that may alter their choice over the years.
Here we have tried to explain the best birth control options available for women over 30 years old along with their benefits & disadvantages.
Best Birth Control Options for Women Over The Age of 30
Condoms are an effective means for birth control that can be used at all ages. The use of condoms also helps to prevent the spread of several sexually transmitted infections. There is a vast range of options in condoms and they are available in many flavors and types. You can purchase condoms from any medical shop in the vicinity or even place an order for them online. Using condoms also prevents unwanted pregnancy.
The only problem with condoms is that sometimes the condoms may burst. On these rare occasions, you may have to use emergency contraceptive pills to avoid the possibility of pregnancy.
2. Intra-Uterine Device (IUD)
Women in their twenties or early thirties can benefit much by choosing an IUD that is placed in the uterus so that pregnancy does not occur. This device is nearly 99% effective in preventing pregnancy.
There are several options in IUDs as listed below:
- Copper IUD: This is a T-shaped IUD with copper wire coiled around it that is inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. The Copper IUD device is an effective long-term birth control method. It prevents pregnancy for 10-12 years after it has been inserted. The copper on the IUD is toxic to the sperm and egg thus avoiding pregnancy. The IUD may also be used as an emergency contraception method up to 5 days after having unprotected intercourse.
- Hormonal IUD: This is also a T-shaped plastic device that is inserted into the uterus. It releases a small amount of progestin that is similar to the progesterone that is produced by the body naturally. The hormonal IUDs work by preventing the sperms from coming close to the eggs and thus avoid pregnancy. Another way this works is by thickening the mucus and avoid ovulation or the release of eggs. When there are no eggs to be fertilized, there are zero chances of pregnancy.
There are some possible side effects of using this kind of birth control method. Here we have listed the same:
- The possibility of spotting between periods increases.
- The person may suffer from some pain when the IUD is being inserted. There could be backache and cramps as a result of the IUD.
- The hormonal IUDs provide protection for 3-6 years and are a long-term method for birth control. There could be slight changes in the menstrual routine when you use IUDs of this kind.
Birth Control Patches are yet another effective means to prevent pregnancy. These patches are to be worn on your hand. One patch works for an entire week releasing estrogen and progesterone hormones. The person should change the patch each week for three consecutive weeks. On the fourth week, she should not wear any patch so that menstrual bleeding occurs. The method is similar to the use of combination birth control pills; making it one of the best birth control options for women over 30.
There is however some restricting factors that make the use of patch not suggested in the following cases:
- Women who are aged 35 years or more should not be using the birth control patch.
- Women who smoke are suggested not to use the birth control patch.
- Women who weigh more than 90 kg should not opt for the patch.
- Women who have had a history of uterine cancer should strictly avoid birth control patches.
- The birth control patches are also not suitable for women with uncontrolled vaginal bleeding.
- Women who have diabetes-related complications should also avoid the use of birth control patches.
- Women who have a tendency of blood clotting should also avoid the use of birth control patches.
4. Birth Control Pills
One of the most commonly used methods for birth control apart from condoms is birth control pills like Lo Ovral or Yasmin pill. There are two types of birth control pills, progestin-only pills, and combination pills. You may consult a doctor to know which of these will best suit your health condition. Consulting a doctor will also help you understand the pros and cons of using birth control pills. They will also advise you what to do in case you miss a pill. Thorough knowledge is necessary so that the right measures are taken regarding health.
5. Emergency Birth Control Pills
These pills are not to be taken on a regular basis because they instill a high dose of hormones into the body. The emergency birth control pills like Plan B pill are only to be used in case you have had unprotected intercourse and are doubtful about getting pregnant. The medicine should be had soon after unprotected intercourse. While the medicine shows its effect up to three days after intercourse, it is best to eat it soon after to avoid any complications.
How to Order Birth Control Online?
There are many different stores where you can buy birth control online. Apart from emergency contraceptive pills, you may need a proper prescription from the doctor for everything else. You need to check the following before placing the order online:
- Always check whether the store is authorized to sell medicines online.
- Compare the rates of the products offered and buy only if it falls in approximately the same range.
- Take time to check the expiry date of the birth control pills before you place the order.
- Read the shipping policy carefully to understand how many days it will take for the pills to be delivered.
- Read the terms and conditions regarding the return and refund policy carefully.
- Check whether there are special discounts when you are a new customer or a regular customer and make the best of these offers.
January 31, 2020 Sam Bell