Yohimbe: Benefits, Uses, And Side Effects
What Is Yohimbe?
Yohimbe is a product from the bark of an evergreen tree found in parts of Central and South Africa. This product is used for several years to treat a number of health issues. While the effectiveness and use of the product may vary, it is good to know more about this product. You can then decide whether or not to use the product. So, here we have shared all the relevant information regarding this product with our readers. Get informed about these queer cures to health problems.
Extensive research has made it possible to have medicines for a wide range of conditions. When these medicines were not available, people relied on herbs and natural alternatives. These helped to deal with a wide range of medical conditions including issues like impotency. Yohimbe is one such natural medication that has been used for ages.
Derived from the bark of an evergreen tree named Pausinystalia Yohimbe, the compound called Yohimbe is used in modern health supplements. The compound is sold in the form of capsules, extracts, and compounds.
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) does not regulate the quality of food supplements. The quality or strength of different Yohimbe supplements may vary considerably.
Also Read: Best Natural Viagra Options
Benefits Of Yohimbe
There are many health conditions for which the Yohimbe supplements may prove extremely beneficial. These supplements have been prescribed for a whole range of conditions as listed below:
- Yohimbe has been used to make teas as an aphrodisiac for several years
- The supplement has also been found useful to some extent to tackle ED (Erectile Dysfunction) issues
- The dietary supplement may also be found useful in dealing with chest pain and diabetic neuropathy
- The supplement has also been prescribed for better athletic performance and as a stimulant
- The supplement has also been prescribed for weight loss but its effectiveness is questionable
Side Effects of Yohimbe
Before you decide to use this compound to deal with existing health issues, know about its side effects. Here we have listed out a few of the side effects of using Yohimbe:
- Anxiety could occur in individuals using Yohimbe
- People have also complained of stomach health issues such as nausea, stomach pain, and diarrhea
- Tachycardia (rapid heart rate) is another outcome of using this compound
- The compound may also cause hypertension (high blood pressure)
- In very rare cases, people have also complained of cardiotoxicity or damage to heart muscles
- People have also encountered sleeplessness and dizziness as a side effect of this medicine
- Urinary health issues have also been seen in some individuals
If you use the Yohimbe supplement and encounter any adverse effects, stop the supplement immediately. There could be disastrous effects if you continue the supplement in spite of the bad effects.
Warnings & Precautions
It is always better to talk to a doctor before starting on the Yohimbe supplement. Doctors are well-informed. They are able to provide you proper guidance regarding the use of these medicines and supplements. It is also a great idea to have a consulting doctor handy in times of need. Here are some warnings regarding the use of Yohimbe that you must consider:
- Individuals who have heart health issues should not consume supplements.
- The medicine is not suitable for use for pregnant women.
- Individuals with seizure disorders should not use Yohimbe supplement.
- People who have a family history of heart health issues should refrain from using Yohimbe.
- The medicine is also not suitable for individuals with high blood pressure (hypertension).
- If you have an enlarged prostate, it is best to avoid the use of Yohimbe.
- The supplement is also not suitable for people with sexual organ inflammatory diseases.
- The supplement should not be consumed by people with Parkinson’s Disease.
- The medicine is also not suitable for people with psychiatric problems.
- If you have diseases related to major organs like kidney, liver, or thyroid, it is best not to use this supplement.
Is It Safe For Use?
People often worry about the safety aspect while considering the use of any health supplement. There are two sides to the coin. You need to consider these aspects before starting the use of Yohimbe:
- Since the health supplement is not regulated by the FDA, the amount of Yohimbe in the supplement may vary. It is difficult to decide what level of Yohimbe is safe and what exactly is an overdose.
- The compound has serious side effects on major organs of the body like liver, kidney, stomach, and heart.
- The compound may cause sleeplessness making it unsuitable for patients with epilepsy and psychiatric disorders.
All medicines are dangerous if administered with other medicines that interact adversely. This is the reason why we need to check the drug interactions of medicines we use. Even though Yohimbe is a health supplement, it does show certain drug interactions. We have listed these here:
- Yohimbe may interact with strong pain relievers like opioids.
- The supplement may interact with drugs prescribed to deal with anxiety.
- It may interact adversely with medicines prescribed for blood pressure.
- Some other drugs it interacts with are bupropion, clonidine, and methamphetamine.
Since there is an adverse effect of using Yohimbe, it is important to consult a doctor before using the supplement. You need to inform your doctor regarding the health issues you are undergoing. Give him a brief about your health history and family health history. He may ask you a few questions regarding your health.
Doctors may sometimes suggest better alternatives to Yohimbe. Even if you are using Yohimbe, stay in touch with the doctor. Inform your doctor instantly when you experience any adverse effects. Some of the side effects could be dangerous and you may need instant help.
When you buy Yohimbe supplements, choose only licensed and authorized stores. This will provide some assurance regarding the quality of the product. You can also check the store reviews to know what the past buyers think about the health supplement. It will help you make the right health choices regarding the use of Yohimbe without suffering any consequences.
June 1, 2020 Sam Bell