Brain Supplements For Adults: Everything You Need To Know
In this article, we’ll discuss the importance of brain supplements as well as some of the best sources.
We all know that our brain is the CPU of the human body, but almost everyone conveniently ignores the power source of this CPU. Most of us seldom pay attention to our eating habits, staying hydrated, limiting our alcohol consumption, and keeping physically fit.
By not taking care of brain health, you risk losing your focus, concentration, memory, and creativity. An unhealthy brain also puts you at risk of early-onset brain diseases such as Dementia and Alzheimer’s. All of this underlines the importance of brain health. Except for consuming the right meals and maintaining mental peace, one sure-shot way of maintaining top-notch brain functionality is consuming Nootropics.
Why Keep The Brain Healthy?
Most people these days often overstimulate their brains as this progressive world is all about the race to the top. Excessively busy work hours, deadlines, and an all-round stressful environment are almost inevitable. This unnecessary pressure has long term detrimental effects on our brain, especially for youngsters who are yet experiencing brain development.
As a human grows and matures, their brain experiences a natural decline in cognitive functions. This means that one starts to experience confusion, dizziness, difficulty in coordinating tasks, loss of memory, loss of earing, vision impairment, and emotional imbalances too.
Although age-related problems cannot be prevented, there are a few ways you can keep your brain “young”:
- Stimulation and consciousness: Simply listening to calming music and reading 10 pages a day can go a long way in stimulating our brain positively.
- Physical Activity: Exercising not only helps improve our physique but also activates the memory centers of the brain. This is done as nutrients get to travel with the blood in an effective manner to the brain.
- Sleep Schedule: “Early to bed and early to rise” is indeed the pathway to a healthy brain.
- Controlling stress and anxiety: While a societal cliché, thinking happy thoughts and having a positive attitude actually contributes greatly to our brain health.
- Taking Supplements: Supplements have the ability to influence brain health for their greater good. In our fast-paced lifestyles, we often tend to ignore our diets and whether or not we are consuming the right nutrients in adequate amounts. This is where supplements come in.
Brain health supplements (or nootropics) are medicines that “power” our brain in the following ways:
- Positively impact cognitive ability and intellect
- Increases memory power
- Increase in creative due to neurons firing in all directions at high speeds
- Concentration and attention span faces a significant spike
- Improved memory retention
Most brain supplements have been scientifically proven to enhance cognitive functioning but it is imperative to do the necessary research before making a purchase.
Remember, brain supplements have nothing to do with your diet. They are meant to enhance your brainpower and cognitive functioning.
Look for natural nootropics first, as they are usually a safer choice to invest in.
Are All Brain Supplements Natural?
Like all other medicines, brain supplements can be natural or synthetic. Natural nootropics are usually preferred by consumers over their artificial counterparts. This is because synthetic supplements usually have side effects that can be detrimental to our overall health in the long run.
What Brain Supplements Should I Buy?
Different kinds of supplements fulfill different purposes – For example, one might be specialized to boost memory, whilst the other would be designed to enhance creativity. To make a decision about your purchase, you need to be clear about what you want out of it. Although, looking for the following ingredients while choosing a supplement should be helpful:
Benefits of Natural Supplement Ingredients
Fish oil supplements taken under the supervision of a healthcare provider can delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. Although it is a safe choice for most, it can lead to brain bleeding if consumed at inaccurate dosages.
Folic acid, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6 can together fight high levels of an amino acid called homocysteine. This amino-acid contributes to incidences of dementia.
Vitamin D may fight natural cognitive decline. Most people around the world suffer from Vitamin D deficiency which makes taking this supplement a necessity.
What To Do Before Buying a Supplement?
- Always check labels for side effects and whether or not harmful chemical ingredients exist.
- Check to see if the refrigeration of the product is required.
- Make sure the container is vacuum-sealed and safe from tampering.
- Ensure certification and seals of approval from NSF International or any other globally renowned medicinal organization you recognize.
Best Brain Supplements For Adults
1. Focus Factor
As the name suggests, this supplement improves brain memory and the ability to focus. This product contains a blend of omega 3 fatty acids (DHA), vitamins D3, B6, and B12, DMAE, and plant extracts such as Huperzine and Bacopa.
2. Vital Brain Booster
This nootropic has been formulated for people who suffer from mental fogginess and fatigue. The added “brain” vitamins increase mental clarity and in turn a range of cognitive abilities.
3. Genius Consciousness
This supplement boosts thought-processing and concentration capabilities. The presence of ingredients that promote mental stimulation makes it a great option for students and professionals who require to put in extra work hours. One of the key ingredients come under the category of Cholinergic. This ingredient helps improve the ability of the brain to receive and transmit signals quickly.
4. Natrol Cognium Tablets
This memory-boosting alternative brings about the more effective firing of neurons and thus establishes strong neural connections capable of improving brain power. Most importantly, these tablets increase the flow of blood to the brain. This keeps the brain healthy and also feeds it with nutrients that come with your diet.
This nootropic contains natural extracts of artichoke and forskolin. This helps in PDE4 inhibition and consequently an increase in cAMP availability. The combination of these cognitive-enhancing ingredients is strategically chosen to allow your brain to release more dopamine.
6. Unfair Advantage
This nootropic directly impacts mitochondria, the power plants of your cells. Firstly, the ingredient ActivePQQ helps your brain cells quickly replace old mitochondria with new mitochondria. Secondly, the ingredient CoQ10 improves cellular production in the brain. This leads to a definite boost in mental and physical energy.
While keeping physically healthy is something all of us try and adhere to, paying attention to our mental health often ironically slips our mind. Optimal brain health requires several steps of self-care which is further strenuous in our busy lives.
Taking supplements to enhance brain activity can be a need for driven-minded people. Some users consider it a catalyst in achieving limitless results in their pursuits.
August 24, 2020 Sam Bell