Adderall: Side Effects, Functioning, And Warning Signs
What Is ADHD?
ADHD is the abbreviation for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. This condition was often wrongly referred to as attention deficit disorder. The condition is visible in children as well as in adults. In most people, the symptoms of this condition become prominent right from childhood.
Symptoms Of ADHD
It is impossible to identify attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in anyone unless you know the symptoms. Here is a list of symptoms for this condition:
- Right from childhood, self-focused behavior patterns like interrupting and the inability to wait for their turn are common in ADHD patients.
- Temper tantrums are also most common in children with ADHD issues.
- Children with ADHD have often seen fidgeting. They have difficulty continuing with leisure activities.
- Children with this condition are also found to leave several unfinished tasks. They may take up many tasks but their attention is diverted to something else more interesting while one task is still unfinished.
- Lack of attention is another prime symptom of ADHD in kids.
- These children also tend to avoid tasks that seem exhaustive mentally.
- These children grow up having difficulty reading social cues.
- They also have difficulty maintaining personal hygiene or driving safely as they grow up.
Since ADHD can hamper different aspects of a child’s life, medicines like Adderall are prescribed to tackle these issues. Adderall is a combination of medicine that may be prescribed to tackle ADHD issues in children and young adults. The medicine has also been effectively prescribed for narcolepsy and other sleep disorders in some cases.
How Does Adderall Work?
Adderall works to counter ADHD issues in children and young adults. It does so by changing the proportions of chemicals in the brain. Adderall is a combination of two drugs often classified as stimulants. These are amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. The medicine is known to be effective in increasing the attention span of users.
The FDA has approved Adderall medicine to deal with ADHD issues since 1960. A generic variation of this medicine is also readily available. The medicine in an extended-release format is also prescribed to tackle narcolepsy in patients. It is necessary to consult the doctor before starting on Adderall for any of these conditions.
Side Effects Of Adderall
Understanding the possible side effects of Adderall medicine is necessary before you start using it. Here we have listed out some of the common side effects:
#1. Mild Side Effects
The doctor will prescribe the Adderall medicine to you only when the positive effects outnumber the side effects. There are some side effects that may occur due to this medicine. You need to inform the doctor regarding these effects only if they are persistent:
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Nausea, vomiting, and digestive health problems
- Fever, nervousness, and headache
- Sleeplessness, pain, or dizziness
#2. Serious Side Effects
There could also be certain serious side effects associated with the use of Adderall medicine. Your doctor will warn you about these possibilities before prescribing the medicine. Prompt action needs to be taken if you encounter any of these. Here we have listed some of these:
- In rare cases, individuals may encounter allergic reactions because of the medicine. These could include rash, swelling, and itchy skin. You need to inform your doctor if you encounter any of these.
- The medicine alters the amount of serotonin in the body. In rare cases, it may result in serotonin syndrome causing toxicity. You need to inform your doctor immediately. Hallucinations, dizziness, and twitching muscles are some of the symptoms of this condition.
- You also need to inform your doctor if the patient undergoes seizures, blurred vision, confusion, or other symptoms.
- Also inform your doctor if there are mood changes, anxiety, or depression after using the medicine.
Many of the side effects associated with the use of Adderall are temporary. They occur till the body gets accustomed to the medicine. This is the reason why you don’t need to be worried about minor side effects. You will be informed by the doctor about the possible side effects of the medicine.
You need to inform your doctor only when you think the side effects are persistent. If you come across any unusual side effects, it is a good idea to consult your doctor. You may also consult your doctor if you have any uncleared doubts regarding the use of Adderall medicine.
Using Adderall: Warning Signs
It is vital that you understand the warnings shared about Adderall medicine before using it. Here we have shared the most warnings associated with the use of Adderall medicine:
- Heart Health Issues: Adderall should not be prescribed to patients with heart problems. The administration of this medicine in patients with heart defects may even be fatal.
- Hypertension: The medicine is not suitable for patients with high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Mental Health Problems: The medicine is also known to cause some mental health issues in patients. The risk of depression, bipolar disorder, and behavioral problems are increased with this medicine.
- Habit-Forming: The medicine is also addictive or habit-forming. This is the reason why the medicine is strictly sold only as per the doctor’s prescription.
- Not Suitable for People with Certain Pre-existing Health Issues
Also Read: Top Over The Counter Adderall Alternatives
Apart from the above-listed conditions, the medicine may also not suit people with pre-existing health conditions. The medicine should not be prescribed to people with a history of drug or alcohol abuse. The medicine should also not be prescribed to individuals with a family history of heart problems. Individuals with a family history of mental health problems should also not be prescribed this medicine.
A doctor should be informed if you have seizures, anxiety, liver disease, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, or glaucoma. Being better informed helps the doctor make the right decisions regarding your health. You need to follow the doctor’s instructions regarding the dosage of the medicine. Do not alter the dose of the medicine without consulting the doctor.
June 11, 2020 Sam Bell