9 Tips To Manage Sleep Anxiety Issues With Ease
In this article, we’ll discuss multiple tips to manage sleep anxiety and get a good night’s sleep.
Are you trying to cope up with your anxiety? Wondering why can’t you just shut your brain off and tell it to go to sleep? Well, you will be happy to know that here, we have some tips for you on how to cope up with your anxiety and fall asleep fast.
Tips To Manage Sleep Anxiety
Sleep is an important requirement for the body and mind. It heals and rejuvenates the body through the day’s fatigue. If you have anxiety and are not getting proper sleep, it can impact your health adversely. It is recommended to have a balanced lifestyle and work on healing your anxiety.
1. Adopt A Healthy Lifestyle
Things to avoid for better sleep:
- Avoid caffeine: Caffeine has the property to stimulate the blood flow because of which it becomes hard for you to fall asleep. Caffeine also reduces your total sleep time.
- Avoid high carb foods: High carbs foods like refined pasta, light bread, red meat, bittersweet chocolate, etc. can reduce serotonin levels and also the standard of your sleep.
- Avoid taking high amounts of alcohol: Alcohol is another culprit for disturbing your sleep. Alcohol features a negative effect on your body and can be the main cause of sleep disruption. It can decrease your sleep time. Also, it can disturb the gastrointestinal system. High amounts of alcohol can cause headaches even after 7 to 8 hours of sleep.
2. Drink Warm Milk Before Bed
Milk consumption is taken into account to be a pointer of a healthy diet owing to its significant nutritional value.
In the majority of Indian households, families give their kids milk at night. This is because milk has effective immunity-growth properties like tryptophan and aminoalkanoic acid which may increase your sleep quality.
Also, milk has melatonin, a hormone that works as a neurotransmitter that allows consistent sleep patterns. Some additional components of milk also help in regulating sleep.
But for those people, who have health issues like gastric problems, they should take milk 3 hours before getting to bed.
3. Exercise Regularly
When an individual (man and woman) does their yoga/walking/running or any form of exercise regularly, they spend ample of energy trying to do this job. Exercise can lower the body’s stress hormones and help to release endorphins, which is a chemical that improves your mood as a means of natural remedies.
For this reason, your body has got to rest properly to revive the energy which you spent in exercise time. Regular exercise can improve your sleep quality. Try and exercise at least for a minimum of half-hour per day.
4. Go To Sleep At The Same Time Every Night
Going to bed early and at the same time, and waking up at a consistent time every day can assist you to habituate with this routine.
If you suffer from insomnia, you ought to rise at absurd times each night. You need to coach your brain and body for abiding by a healthy sleep cycle.
5. Limit Your Power Naps
People take short a.k.a. power naps to recover missed sleep, as it’s vital to take care of regular sleep patterns. Waking up early morning and getting to bed at consistent night times should be followed because napping can affect the standard of night-time sleep.
6. Limit Your Activities In Bed
If you’re affected by the problem of insomnia then don’t read or watch television while in bed, don’t even make phone calls when in bed. For instance, once you are on your bed, avoid binge-watching shows, playing games, and listening to music.
7. Create An Ideal Sleeping Environment
The environment where you sleep or rest for some time can play an enormous role when it comes to difficulty in falling asleep.
You can sleep during a quiet time and in a calm room where the temperature isn’t too high or too low. Or in a room with mild sunshine. Otherwise, you can sleep in a dark room as it is beneficial for the body’s circadian rhythm.
8. Relax and Manage Stress
Stress is the most common reason for sleep problems, heart diseases, hair fall issues, headaches, and mental health drawbacks. For all the matters it has one solution, relax your mind and do some meditation to reduce the strain.
9. If You Can’t Sleep, Do Something
If you can’t sleep at night don’t force yourself to sleep. Don’t hesitate to awaken and check out. Try to do something that will relax you until you are feeling sleepy. One can also read books in such sleepless situations.
Lower quality sleep can portray a negative impact on your healthy lifestyle. Sleeplessness/insomnia problems make your life harder to enjoy, while also changing your mood and behavior.
Ayurvedic Lifestyle For Good Sleep
In Ayurveda, anxiety is usually caused by an aggravation of the Vata dosha. The key to tackle this anxiety and get a good sleep is to combine your lifestyle with herbs and treatments of Ayurveda, which will calm your mind.
The following simple steps can be adopted in your lifestyle
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Replace regular milk tea with chamomile tea
- Daily practice yoga and meditation
Consulting A Doctor
If it’s been months that you’re suffering from sleeping anxiety we would suggest you consult a doctor. The doctor will guide you and give you a healthy diet routine. Moreover, seek professional help if it disturbs your mind.
Following A Sleep Pattern
If your sleep is disturbed, it will disrupt mental abilities. Try to follow a sleep pattern regularly.
- Don’t eat after 7 pm
- Drink decaf tea. Chamomile is a good choice
- Don’t watch stimulating TV-comedy usually
- Try relaxing techniques like breathing exercises, big deep breaths, inhaling with your nose, and exhaling with your mouth
- Listen to meditative music
- If you are into praying, go for it
- Eat balanced meals throughout the day
- Exercise if you can fit it into the schedule
Steps To Ease Your Mind
- First is meditation, the grounding effect
- Meditate & take up mindfulness
- Write down all the things which are troubling you
- Eat cereal & calcium
- Drink malt
- Listen to relaxing music that has no emotional connection
- Even watch TV as long as you don’t become stimulated
Tips To Manage Sleep Anxiety: Conclusion
There are several things that you can start doing, which will help you with your sleep. Remember that you’re not alone, one in three people suffer from insomnia or poor quality sleep.
Be your own best friend. Get your health checked. Consider talking to your doctor. Also, talk to someone if you’re experiencing stress, sadness, or restlessness. Seek professional advice if needed. Follow up on a good sleep routine and have a healthy diet.
October 13, 2020 Sam Bell