15+ Simple Tips For Better Health
In this article, we’ll discuss some simple tips for better health which are easy to implement with your day-to-day activities.
The World Health Organization defines good health as a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being. To be healthy is not just to be free from diseases. It also means to be happy and be able to enjoy a fulfilling life with ease.
Do you find making huge changes difficult? Follow these simple steps to achieve greater physical, mental, and social health.
Tips For Better Health: Physical Health
1. Track Your Diet
Food is the most versatile component affecting our health. For a healthy life, we can watch our consumption habits in the following ways.
- Daily calorie intake: Doctors recommend an adult to consume 50 gm of proteins, 70 gm of fats, 24 gm of saturated fatty acids, 310 gm of carbohydrates, 90 gm of sugar, 2.3 gm of salt, and 30 gm of dietary fiber. This is keeping the vitamin and mineral requirements aside. Count your calorie intake to plan the right meal.
- Portion sizing: Doctors recommend a daily diet plan of 5 meals per day. This will help in controlling your calorie intake. If you are an over-eater, a useful tip is to use small spoons and eat slowly. After 20 minutes, your brain will be fooled to think that it has had enough food.
- Limit fast-food intake: A modern lifestyle calls for instant food fixes that save time. Such items are made of poly-saturated fats, high sugar, and salt content. If you can’t resist yourself from having such items, you can try to reduce the frequency of consumption.
- Rainbow meals: All fast foods come under the category of high calorie and poor-nutrient amounts. A balanced diet includes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber. It helps with weight control and heart health. A rule of thumb is to include all the colors of the rainbow in your meals to keep it nutrient-rich.
- Use unrefined products: Most food brands that we use manufacture refined salt, sugar, and flour. These staple products in our pantry can hamper our physical health in the long run. Our best advice for you will be to choose brands that produce organic and unrefined products.
2. Breakfast Is Crucial
If you sleep a minimum of six hours at night and skip breakfast, your stomach stays empty for at least 10 hours before you have your first meal of the day. An empty stomach for this long will produce harmful chemicals in your body. This can make you feel acidic and spoil your day. Thus be sure to have your breakfast within two hours after waking up.
3. Drink Water First Thing In The Morning
A glass of water as soon as you wake up can help your body restart, the right away. It also helps dissolve all the harmful toxins produced in your body the previous night. Follow this with 6 to 8 glasses of water each day. You will have a healthier body and clearer skin.
4. Care For Your Body Inside Out
Good food alone cannot keep your body healthy. You can apply the following tips to keep your body happy and well-equipped to prevent health drawbacks.
- Pamper your skin: Our skin is the largest organ in the human body. It faces the most toxins from the environment in the form of harmful UV rays, chemicals in the air, dirt, etc. The best way to keep your skin healthy and glowing is to drink water. Use moisturizers and SPF 15 based sunscreen before going out of your house.
- Regular health checkups: We often misjudge the importance of regular health checkups, especially for our teeth, eyes, and ears. They get exposed to a lot of pollution in the environment and the toxins we consume through food each day. Regular ENT and dental checkups will help you experience the world better even when we turn 70.
- Vaccinations: Getting vaccine shots at the right time can save us from many endemic diseases. These include fatal diseases like polio, yellow fever, measles, rubella, tuberculosis, etc. Some diseases can be prevented with a signal vaccine shot. Tetanus vaccines are effective for a maximum of five years. Your doctor can help you set the right schedule for such vaccines.
- Get some morning sun: The sun rays of early morning are the most suited to give you your daily dose of Vitamin D. This vital nutrient is proven to help the body absorb calcium for the bones and produce insulin for the blood. Sunlight is also proven to help the body produce endorphins. These hormones are responsible to keep you happy.
- Sleep well: An average human body needs 6 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. A fast-paced lifestyle may make the process difficult. You can try to reschedule your sleep cycle by one hour at a time to achieve this target.
Tips For Better Health: Mental Health
American Psychological Association defines mental health as a state of mind. It involves emotional wellbeing, good behavioral adjustment, and a capacity to establish meaningful relationships. Man is a social being. Therefore, mental and social health go hand-in-hand.
Modern-day living involves a lot of stress and anxiety. Sometimes we are not able to deal and succumb to its detrimental effects. These include many mental disorders such as depression and anxiety attacks.
1. Maintain A Daily Journal
Self-reflection is said to be the best aid to deal with emotional distress. If we take some time to write about our day before we sleep, we will get a chance to reflect on our thoughts, actions, and feelings. In this way, we can start a new day with lesser regrets and stress.
2. Take Breaks
The number one reason for all health disorders is mental and physical burnout. We work for hours at a stretch and ignore the bodily side effects. Thus, no matter how much work is at hand, take mini-breaks. This will increase your productivity in the long run.
3. Find A Hobby
Work-life balance is best maintained when you have interesting leisure activities to go back home to. Make sure to find that one hobby that keeps your stress at bay.
4. Do Brain Teasers
Crosswords and Sudoku are some simple brain exercises that you can solve to keep your mind sharp. This has also proven to reduce the possibility of memory loss problems such as Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Make Animal Friends
If you can’t manage a pet at home, visit a nearby animal shelter or puppy club. Playing with cats, dogs, and other animals has been proved to be therapeutic.
6. Keep Good Company
Your social circle can make or break you. The right friends understand you. You can share your worries with them without fear of judgment. Keeping a good company will thus help you de-stress.
Maintaining your health may seem simple. But it can be a daunting task if not done right. The best solution to stay healthy is to tackle one bad habit at a time. Then you are sure of staying happy and healthy all your life.
June 24, 2020 Sam Bell