8 Natural Remedies For Gout You Can Try At Home
In this article, we’ll discuss some natural remedies for gout including some lifestyle changes.
What Is Gout?
Gout is a variant of inflammatory arthritis that causes discomfort and pain. It causes pain to the toes, ankles, and knees. The cause of gout is an excessive build-up of uric acid. The uric acid is formed in the body when the body breaks up purines present in foods. There are many ways to manage gout at home. Here we have listed out a few home remedies that may help reduce the pain and trouble related to gout.
Natural Remedies For Gout
1. Hydrate Yourself
Drink lots of water. The uric acid concentrations will reduce greatly when there is an ample amount of water in the body. Frequently hydrating yourself is thus a good idea. Drinking lots of water ensures that the kidneys dispose of the toxic liquids in the body. This helps to reduce the uric acid concentration in the body. It thus helps to reduce swelling and inflammation in gout.
Liquid intake is essential. You can include healthy soups and broths as part of your diet. It will help ensure you get the required liquid intake for the body.
2. Avoid Foods That Trigger Pain
Some foods are recognized as gout triggers. When a person consumes any of these food items, his gout symptoms seem to flare up. A good way is to reduce the intake of such foods. Some of the commonly known gout triggering foods are red meat, alcohol, sugar, and seafood. You must reduce these in your regular diet. Replace these with fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and low-fat dairy. It will ensure you stay healthy and have lesser attacks of gout.
3. Reduce Physical And Mental Stress
Most of us do not realize this. Physical and mental stress contribute to triggering health issues. Even gout attacks get triggered greatly by stress. You need to find ways to manage stress so that these attacks are minimized.
Here we have listed out our suggestions to reduce stress:
- Regular exercise is a great way to keep your body fit. Exercise also helps to minimize stress. It helps the person feel positive about himself. It is a great idea to include 15-20 minutes of daily exercise in your regime.
- Meditation is known to have far-reaching effects on physical and mental health. Regular yoga and meditation also help to enhance concentration and memory. Try to meditate weekly for better health.
- Reading a book is also a great habit. It helps you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. You also gain knowledge and information through the habit of reading.
- You can consider listening to music during work breaks. Studies reveal that listening to music also has a great impact on your mood. It helps you feel relaxed.
Reducing stress is one of the best natural remedies for gout.
4. Make These Additions To Your Diet
Some foods are truly beneficial for gout patients. These provide the necessary nutrition for the body. These are foods that also include nutrients with anti-inflammatory properties. Here are the foods we suggest you should include to your regular diet:
- Increase your consumption of fish in the diet. Fish provides many nutrients including the Omega 3 fatty acids. It also contains some anti-inflammatory compounds to help enhance overall health. Avoid high purine fishes like tuna as these could be harmful.
- Include cherries in your snacks and breakfast bowls. People who consumed cherries for 2 days were found to be 35% less attack risk from getting gout attacks.
- Lemon juice helps greatly in reducing the uric acid concentrations in the body. This is the reason why adding a little lemon juice to your drinking water can be a great idea if you are a gout patient.
- Coffee is a beverage that can help to reduce the uric acid concentrations in the body. You may just consider having a cup of coffee each day if you are suffering from gout attacks.
5. Avoid Alcohol Consumption
Studies have clearly revealed that excess alcohol consumption can be harmful to gout patients. You need to keep your alcohol consumption within limits. This will prevent the recurrence of gout attacks.
6. Minus These Meats From Your Diet
There is a range of high purine meats that can actually be hazardous for a gout patient. These include mussels, herring, cod, anchovies, veal, bacon, turkey, trout, scallops, sardines, and organ meats. Make sure to minus these from your regular diet. You will observe a remarkable difference in the gout symptoms when you alter your diet.
7. Drink These Refreshing Beverages
Refreshing beverages reduce inflammation in the body and works as a natural remedy for gout.
There are some refreshing beverages that may have positive effects on gout patients. Nettle tea is a herbal remedy that is known to reduce pain and inflammation in gout patients. Extracts and supplements from Dandelion or Dandelion tea are regarded as equally beneficial. These improve the health of the kidney ensuring better removal of uric acid from the body. Often prescribed for liver health, milk thistle is another herb that may help gout patients.
8. Let The Body Get Necessary Rest
Just like your mind, your body also deserves to relax. Give it the necessary rest and relaxation. Make sure you do not overwork your body. Try postures that prevent pain or at least minimize it. These measures will help you lead a better life in spite of gout.
When To Consult A Doctor?
Gout attacks can normally be managed with the mentioned natural remedies. You may manage it at home. You need to consult a doctor or seek his advice in the following cases:
- This is the first gout flare-up you are experiencing and you don’t know what to do about it.
- You observe such symptoms after the use of a certain treatment or food.
- You are experiencing fever and chills.
- You have tried everything but even after 48 hours, the symptoms seem serious.
In all these cases, it is best to seek a doctor’s advice. He can evaluate your condition and prescribe proper treatment for you. He may also be able to suggest some home remedies and natural measures apart from those on the list.
July 27, 2020 Sam Bell