Benefits and side effects of Armodafinil
What is Armodafinil?
Armodafinil is a crystalline powder that has low solubility in water and is extremely soluble in methanol. It is used to promote wakefulness in patients of all ages suffering from excessive sleep-apnea, narcolepsy or shift work disorder (SWD).
The precise mechanism of Armodafinil is not really known, but we predict that the chemical transmitter, dopamine, is increased in the brain and reduced in the nerves.
Thus, its main function is to alter the amounts of natural chemical substances present in the brain which are responsible for sleep and energy levels.
What is Armodafinil Used For?
Due to Armodafinil’s elongated half-life, as compared to modafinil, it helps in ameliorating the wakefulness attribute in patients who are prone to excessive daytime drowsiness.
Armodafinil is a pharmaceutical drug that is present in enantiopure form and belongs to the branch of medicines known as eugeroics, which consist of stimulants that provide long-term mental arousal.
Can I Take Armodafinil?
Before being prescribed Armodafinil, you must inform your doctor if you have or ever had any of the following health issues:
- Kidney or Liver damage or any kind of disease to these organs
- Mitral Valve Prolapse – a heart muscle or artery disorder that can result in heart block of BP
- Heart stroke, heart attack or low/high blood pressure
- Intoxication habits via the use of excessive drugs, smoking, and alcohol
- Short-term memory loss and any symptoms of poor memory
- Schizophrenia or any other psychosis type mental problems
Many people suffer from work shift disorders which causes them to dose off numerous times during their day jobs. Popping one pill of Armodafinil one hour before starting your day energizes you to combat such detrimental disorders and move towards a healthier lifestyle.
Some more benefits are as follows:
- The best remedy for obstructive sleep apnea, which is a problem where the airway closes more than needed which causes insufficient airflow, leading to heavy snoring. Armodafinil, when combined with CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine, provides the best treatment available.
- Useful for treating Ehlers – Danlos Syndromes (EDS), which affects connective tissues in the body responsible for structuring skin, organs, blood vessels, and bones. The stimulants are used to burgeon dopaminergic activity in the Central Nervous System.
- The inculcation of Armodafinil is an additional strategy for Schizophrenic patients and is associated with attenuating inactiveness, fatigue, paranoia, and cognitive disturbances. The changes in behavioral patterns are evident due to the alteration in monoamine activity within the system.
- Armodafinil definitely improves wakefulness – this can be visualized when experiments are carried out to check the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) score. 2 groups of patients, one who are given Armodafinil and the second who given a placebo. After giving a dose of 150mg a day, the mean ESS score had a statistically higher rating for the patients who were given the real medicine. ESS score is a test used to determine the intensity of how sleepy a patient is. It is a test consisting of 8 situational questions which when answered can help doctors access daytime sleepiness in patients.
- Due to an active ingredient called R-modafinil present in this medicine, the quantity of a single dose supplied to the patient has enough strength to make positive cognitive changes. It is because of the potency present in its constitution that this drug requires only 150-200 mg. The fact that it attains the threshold of blood concentration much later on as compared to Modafinil, means the effects have the ability to last much longer.
Armodafinil Side Effects
Side effects are common with almost every form of medication, so do not freak out when you read this section.
Nausea, insomnia, dizziness, and headaches are some of the most common issues you will face.
In the event that an addict has consumed more than the prescribed amount, they will experience intoxicating effects such as blurred vision, restlessness, difficulty in sleeping, confusion in mundane activities, hallucinations and hyperventilation.
Most of the common side effects do not call for any medical attention as the body learns to adapt and adjust to the changes Armodafinil makes within the brain and central nervous system.
Due to the addictive substances present in this medicine, many drug abusers regularly consume vast amounts to achieve similar exhilarating effects of methamphetamine and amphetamines.
- Psychiatric and Immunologic problems: Splitting headaches, dryness in the mouth, folliculitis (inflammation of hair follicles) and hostility traits are common side effects experienced by schizophrenic patients.
- Due to its stimulating properties, Armodafinil is known to cause palpitation problems and major spikes in blood pressure. People who do not have a history of psychiatric disorders are known to rarely suffer psychiatric side effects.
- Drug interactions can prove as severe as immediate death or permanent coma. Make sure you do not consume Armodafinil with Codeine, Fentanyl, Alfentanil, Desogestrel, Etonogestrel, and other such medicines. Ensure to take an appointment with your health care professional to avoid the internal clash of these two medicines. They can suggest a different prescription or change how often you use each medicine.
- Dermatologic diseases: In the event you face allergic reactions such as anaphylaxis, Stevens–Johnson Syndrome or angioedema, you must immediately visit a hospital to avoid life-long skin diseases.
- Women who are using hormonal birth control pills, vaginal rings or an Intrauterine Contraceptive Device (IUD) may not achieve desired effects if consumed with Armodafinil. Ensure you use an extra form of a precautionary method for birth control such as implants, patch or shorts.
- Gastrointestinal issues: Loose stools, severe constipation, periodic vomiting of bile, knocking pain in the upper abdominal area, or indigestion, also known as dyspepsia are effects that can occur if the chemicals in the medicine do not react well with the body for some vague reason.
In spite of the relieving and productivity inducing benefits of consuming Armodafinil when prescribed, you by now should be aware of its devastating effects if consumed in excess, with other medicines or its generic side effects.
The awareness of what medicines are permitted to enter your body should be equivalent to the awareness of the knowledge you possess of the medical condition one has been diagnosed by.
Make sure no one else consumes your prescription of Armodafinil as the illegal sale of this drug is against the law and punishable. The safety and efficacy of consuming Armodafinil as a suitable treatment for adults suffering from narcolepsy, excessive sleep disorders, and hypopnea syndrome should always be kept in mind and such information should be shared to help others too.
Make sure to keep such tablets away from the reach of children as they are not child-resistant and can easily poison their intestines and immune system. Safety caps and a high shelf is the best way to keep it away from the younger population.
February 4, 2020 Toby Amidor