Centres for Disease Control and Prevention states that half of the population of women murdered and died at the hands of their partners. Partner abuse and violence occur to both men and women. According to National Domestic Hotline Reports, 10% of men and 30% of women suffer from physical abuse. These reports state that the US is not safe for both men and women. Maximum people are not satisfied in their relationship.
When the relationship begins between men and women, both of them don’t realize the aftereffects. Some signs say that the relationship will not last long. These reports state that abusive relationships whether physical, emotional or mental will destroy the entire family. It ultimately leads to depression. Here are some of the important signs for you to understand about abusive relationships.
Different Types Of Abuse
Different types of abuse are there. People often don’t realize it. To control the abusive relationship it is important to know the signs. Here are some of the signs.
- Physical abuse: Physical abuse is the main noticeable thing. Some of them are slapping, biting, kicking, punching, pulling hair, etc. You should not encourage these things. Abusers can also control you in many ways. They will not permit you to go anywhere or restrict you from doing this and that. Other than that they can also take out their aggression on animals or children. You need to be careful of it. The important thing is that you should not tolerate all these things openly.
- Controlling behaviour: Another type of abuse is that they often control behaviour. They try to manage money and refuse you from all sides of entertainment. Moreover, they can ask you several types of questions like where you have been or what you are doing. They might doubt every one of your words. They might not be happy with your success and become jealous of it.
- Aggressive behaviour: Aggressive behaviour is often characterized as the red flag in the relationship. The abuser can do cruel things like threatening you, spreading false allegations and other bad things. This kind of hostile behaviour is universal for all kinds of abuse. Parker says that it can be verbal abuse, physical abuse or emotional abuse. Hence, one should not tolerate these things in the future. Other than that, mood swings are another symbol to make you feel low and down.
- Forceful sex: Abusers can also become aggressive in their bedroom. Having sex between a couple is good. However, forced sex is not good. The abusers can blackmail you. Moreover, if you do not listen to them then they might make videos of the sex. Sometimes the abusers start with playful activities like pulling hair or slapping. Slowly they will target your innocent attitude and start to force you as much as they can. Emotional blackmail is another way to have sex with you. The abusers do not love you, they will force you and enjoy your body.
- Unrealistic expectations: The abusers always give priority to their needs and demands. Even if you love them unconditionally they will always focus on their needs. They might have unrealistic expectations of you. They might call you at any time of the day. Other than that they might expect perfection and service. Whatever they will tell you, you have to listen to them. Sometimes their expectations may reach unrealistic expectations. If you do not listen to them they might quarrel with you. If any quarrel occurs, they might blame you.
What Is Your Role To Get Out Of An Abusive Relationship?
We have already discussed the signs so that you can understand if you are in an abusive relationship or not. You need to understand that tolerating abusive relationships is not good. You are just the victim of the relationship. It is not your fault at all. Wait for a few days and see whether your partner is changing or not. Give your partner some days. However, it is hard for the abusers to change. Parker says that you should move out of your relationship as soon as possible. Giving a chance to your partner for a few days is good. Do not make it your habit.
Other than that if you are beaten down completely emotionally or physically then move out of the relationship. Moreover, abusers may blackmail you by saying that they will change and try to keep you in the honeymoon period. Do not believe in them. The honeymoon period means they might apologize to you. They also might send you gifts and other things so that your heart can melt. Do not listen to all these things. These are all traps.
Here are some of the ways by which you can protect yourself.
- If ever you feel unsafe then you must call the police and take serious action against the abusers.
- Reach out to the National Domestic Violence Hotline Website and complain. Write everything in detail. All sorts of trained staff members are there. They will help you by getting all the information.
- Try to keep all the records of what your abusers have done to you like slapping, uttering abusive words, etc. These will help you in the long run. It will help you to investigate properly.
- Other than that, try to keep witnesses like your friends or family. They will help you to say all your problems to the police. If you do not have any such members then contact the nearby shelter crisis. They will help you.
Finally, we need to know that a healthy relationship will keep you happy. Staying in an abusive relationship is not good. Moreover, tolerating all the abuse is not a good thing. Many people are unable to come out of abusive relationships and the result is that they die early or become traumatized. You should come out of the relationship before it is too late. You should remember that tolerating abusiveness is also a crime in a relationship.